Celebrate 100 years!
The township of Red Cliffs and it’s surrounding fruit blocks began 100 years ago. We’re celebrating!
The massive tractor that made Red Cliffs
Big Lizzie is now 100 years old and we remember the important part she played in the clearing of the land for the establishment of Red Cliffs.
In early 1915 Frank Bottrill commenced construction of Big Lizzie to replace the camel trains which carried wool and other heavy loads in the sandy terrain. Fabrication and assembly of the huge prime mover and two trailers was carried out by Bottrill over a period of 12 months, with casting and machining done by A.H. McDonald Co. of Richmond, Vic. Financing was provided by Ralph Falkiner.
Where the money comes from
Red Cliffs was established as a farm settlement, with sultanas predominately grown to be dried. This was the main horticultural occupation of Red Cliffs up until the 1990’s, when the area shifted to producing wine due to a change in profitability.
Red Cliffs and District Historical Society
The Red Cliffs and District Historical Society was founded in 1984, and works to preserve and share the history of Red Cliffs and district, including Cardross, Sunnycliffs, Stewart, Karadoc, Yatpool, Iraak, Carwarp, Nangiloc, Colignan, Kulkyne and Hattah.
1st Sun of the Month: 11 am – 1 pm
And by appointment
24 Jamieson Ave
Red Cliffs, Victoria, Australia
0427 129 584